Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Getting to know me: Why should you want to know me?

This is a question that I've struggled with nearly my whole life.  I grew up with verbal and emotional abuse as a child and young adult; a restrictive religion; a small, closed minded town with a lesbian mother; a sensitive nature; and features that were described as plain at best and ugly at worst.  I grew up either not able to gain positive attention or trying really hard not to draw attention to myself.  On the rare occasion that I did garner any positive attention, I didn't know how to deal with it, even to this day it makes me feel a little awkward.  Having said that: I'm not looking to start a pity party.  My experiences as an adult have improved my views of myself and gradually given me more confidence to put myself out there.  This blog is being created in conjunction with a website devoted to a Pagan Tradition that I am also developing, Dragon Spirit Tradition.  This blog will be a place for me to have a web presence, so that friends, old and new, can get to know me better though my writings.

That brings me to the title of this blog:  Why should you want to know me?  I don't come highly credentialed in either academic degrees or religious titles/degrees.  I don't have much of anything on paper that says, "Yeah, I can prove I know what I'm talking about here."  But I do.  I've researched more books and websites than I can remember.  I've explored religious groups in person.  I've meditated and pondered on a great many subjects.  And in talking to people not only about things that are, but things that aren't, I've come to the conclusion that just by being me, I have a unique perspective of things that may be of use to someone.  Maybe even lots of someones.  That's another important point in my growth.  I no longer rate my value on whether "lots of someones" would benefit from my views or even be interested.  If only one person's life is improved by association with me, that's good enough.  Being of service to one person is better than none.  After all, "lots of someones" is just more than one individual, some-one.  And it's the individuals who are the most important.

Why should you want to know me?  I don't know.  This will vary by individual.  :)   Let's see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment