Tuesday, February 21, 2012

C is for Cats

Posting number 5 for the Pagan Blog Project.

I don't really like posting about things that there's already a ton of information to be found.  I feel like I'm just repeating what others have already said, and maybe even said better.  If it appears on here, it's because I have a different take on the subject than most people do or because it's just so important to me that the ideas bear repeating.  For this blog posting, cats came to mind because they are so very, very popular as pets and familiars.  There's lots of information to be found concerning cats, so I'm sharing a poem that I wrote some years ago in regards to my cat familiar, Elminster, a large, beautiful tabby Maine Coon. 



Familiar Friend

My familiar friend,
my near constant companion.
You are so very dear to me.
You make me laugh and smile.
You make me feel special and loved.
I especially love the way you cuddle up to me at night,
how happy you are to see me when I've been away.
Your agitation when you don't know where I am
and your persistence in finding me
is quite adorable and endearing.
You always seem to know when I'm feeling down.
However...
I could do without you jumping out at me,
when you're feeling playful.
Although, in its way, it does make me laugh.
You manage to be fat and hairy and cute,
when so many others can't be all those things.
My dear and loyal friend,
steadfast and true,
gone in a blink of large, golden eyes,
at the clink, clink, clink
of food falling into your cat bowl,
by the hand of anyone at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment