Wednesday, February 22, 2012

D is for Dedication

Posting number eight for the Pagan Blog Project.

I've noticed that it is sometimes difficult to pin Pagans down to a particular date and time for an activity, let alone get them to commit to a long term schedule.  I even find myself doing it.  There's just always something that interferes:  family, school, social plans, work, kids, distance and a myriad of other responsibilities and excuses.  Now I'm not saying these aren't valid reasons to not be dedicated to religious attendance and that they aren't important activities in our lives.  But.  It bothers me.  Especially, lately, when I've been trying to determine the best time to set up for a meet-up.  There are Christian churches, practically on every corner in some places, that are full of people who go every Sunday at 10:00am (or there about).  Some of us went to one of these regularly at some point in our lives.  Although, mine met at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, and we couldn't work or play from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night.  So, why is it so hard to be dedicated now?  To something that we supposedly feel so strongly about?

I think some of our issues with dedication has to do with timing.  Most Pagan events and activities occur at night on weekends, and so do most social activities, extracurricular activities such as sports and concerts, family dinners, and second shift jobs.  And weekend afternoons are often taken up with all the things that we can't do during the week due to work, such as grocery shopping and extra family time.  Weeknights are spent relaxing after work, spending time with family, and children's activities like sports practice.  That leaves us with weekend mornings, when many people wish to sleep in because they can.  And Gods know, it's hard to argue with that one.  I love my sleep!

But something has to give if we truly want to be involved with other people.  If you've been having a hard time in this area, take some time think about where you want to go with your path and what you're willing to do to get there.  Figure out you're excuses and what you can do about them.  Then figure out what's really holding you back.  Maybe you have all these excuses because there's something you're afraid of or unsure about.  Maybe you don't really want to be in a group or that group.  But if you find that you do want to be a part of a pagan group, figure out how to make it work.  If so many of other faiths can carve out a time every week, we can do it, too.   

2 comments:

  1. Great advice Michelle! For me (maybe for others, too?), I've actually avoided grouping up (in person) because of "difficulties" I've witnessed online with members of Pagan groups, etc. I'm a bit fearful of being ridiculed or told I'm not doing something "right" I guess. On the other hand, there have been many times I've longed for the support and guidance of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Polly, I'm not going to lie to you. Meeting up with other Pagans isn't always a dream come true for a number of reasons. Sometimes you meet a group of absolutely wonderful people that you just don't "mesh" with. Sometimes, you'll meet Pagans who are just as asinine as the Christian Fundies. Sometimes you'll meet people who are just plain "wierd." Lol. It IS a risk. I went through several groups before I found one that worked for me, and that one didn't last for very long. A good way to get some feelers out there is to find Pagan Meet-up groups and/or see if there's an annual Pagan Pride Day in your area. A lot of groups will have info booths at PPD events. Networking is a good way to feel out groups before meeting them, if it's an option, and for some help. It's better than nothing, although, it can only go so far towards filling that need for one on one contact that some of us have.

      Delete