Monday, February 6, 2012

Imbolc: The Spark of Newness

There's lots of information to be found on Imbolc (Candlemass, Brighidmass, etc) if one Google's the term, so I'm not posting any of that sort of information here today.

When I was a kid, I thought that the Vernal Equinox must have been the first day of the year in ancient times.  In Spanish, spring is primavera, which is related to words for beginning or first.  I was shocked when I learned the ancient pagans considered the time around Samhain to be the transition of a new year.  It took some time before I could say, well, ok, yes, that's definitely a time when it's clear the year is "old."  But there's no beginning after that.  Winter is the rest time.  As a more mature adult, and one who has had four kids now, I see it a bit differently.  Best to begin a new project with rest, planning, more rest, thinking, more rest, etc. 

A blog I read recently (The Confusion of Imbolc) pointed out that Imbolc is the only holiday that isn't the same for everyone, everywhere.  (And by that I mean those of us in the northern hemisphere, as, of course, the bottom half of the world is celebrating something totally different.)  For some parts of the northern hemisphere, new life has actually visibly started to show up.  Where I am and to the north, no such things are going on, or at least, not usually.  (This winter has been a bit mixed up.)  Some people celebrate it in honor of Brighid specifically, making it according to the blog the only one of the 8 traditional Pagan holidays in reverence to a particular deity.  Although, on further reflection, I don't think that's not precisely true.  Lammas, sometimes called Lughnassadh, is often celebrated in honor of Lugh.  Ironically, it is exactly opposite Imbolc, and Lugh is something of a male counterpart to Brighid.  I should comment about that later.  On checking on that, it appears someone already made that point.  But the Equinox's and Solstices are all pretty much focused on the same concepts for everyone and so is Beltaine, the harvest holidays, and Samhain.

But regardless of to whom or for what it's celebrated, the central theme is still the spark of "newness," life/thoughts/ideas, etc.  It's my theory that it may have been one of the reasons we have New Year's resolutions.  Many Imbolc rituals have to do with planning for new goals for the year, in lighting our creative spark.  But where New Year's resolutions fail is that making the resolution doesn't do much good without a solid plan.  I think the best part of Imbolc is that it encourages people to have a plan or if not a specific plan, at least asking Brighid for help and support in our endeavor.  Support is also something people don't consider when making goals and even plans, but just having someone just to bounce ideas off of or to offer encouragement can make the difference between success and failure.  For example, programs to help people quit smoking usually suggest you have a buddy or support person.  Gym buddies help us stay on task, too.  Regardless of what people say about needing to do things for yourself, not letting someone else down is a pretty big motivator, too.  People often will go above and beyond for someone else, but not do as much for themselves.


I've already started my Imbolc resolution and planning.  My goal for this year isn't exactly for any one specific, tangible thing to accomplish.  In years past it's been things like have a baby or make money.  This year my goal is to not let fear get in the way of any opportunities that present themselves or that I could make happen, to not let my self-doubts get in the way.  In other words, not to let the risks involved get in the way, to not just take the safe road.  I'm going to make things happen this year, not wait for someone else to help me make things happen.  Part of that goal is the making of this blog and not worrying whether or not anyone is actually reading it, yet.  If you are reading this, it's because I've already taken steps to help myself get out into the world.  But, if you are reading this, and like my little postings, I could use some help getting myself out there, so please follow, comment, and share my blog with others!

And good luck to all of you in getting your creative spark going!


No comments:

Post a Comment